BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Missed It

Because of my move from Minneapolis to Atlanta, I haven't been able to write for the last couple of months. There's just been too much to do and I didn't get it all done before I had to leave. At first, it was nice to have the time off from writing since I rarely take a break, but now I'm straining at the tether. I want to write. I want to take time to think about my stories and work out details. Want, but can't.

The week before I left Minnesota, I opened a file and made an attempt to work, but my thoughts were too scattered and I couldn't focus enough to get words down. This isn't unexpected because I dealt with it the same thing the other few times I've tried to write while I have been deep in relocation mode. It was disappointing, though.

Now the question is how long will it take to get settled enough in Atlanta to have time again? Not just time to write, but time to deal with all the email and other details that I've let slide because I had other, more critical issues on the To Do List. Those decks need to be cleared, too.

What's really making me crazy is that my characters aren't talking to me. None of them. I'm used to running scenes to fall asleep. I'm used to running scenes when I get bored. This quiet is weird.

I know it's stress. My mind is whirling with details and even if I try to concentrate, it doesn't take long before my thoughts return to what I need to do or what I should be doing. I'm looking forward to calmness, to being able to hear the voices again. I want to spend time with my characters, no matter how frustrating they can be. I wonder how long it will take for my mind to settle in? Today will be my second day reporting to my job in my new home city. It can't be too much longer now. I hope.