BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Getting Back To It

One of the reasons why I don't like taking a break from writing is how excruciatingly difficult it is to get back into the habit. But my move to Atlanta from Minneapolis necessitated a break. Now that I'm sort of settled in Georgia, I'm trying to kick-start myself. So far, it's not going so well.

I began by reading and rereading one of my projects, hoping that would help get me in the right frame of mind. That didn't really work. In the past, it has, but in the past it's usually that 1) I've been writing other things and now I need to get back to an earlier project or 2) I've had a break of a week or two.

This break in writing? More like five months, maybe more.

I was contemplating tactics for another attempt when I caught a cold. I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm sick, I get so fuzzy headed that writing (or anything else that requires brain power) is impossible.

Now I'm feeling almost normal again and my second plan of attack is to start a completely new project, something I haven't done anything with before now. Only I've discovered my imagination has atrophied along with my ability to string together sentences. I'm thinking I simply need some quiet, daydreaming time to get back into practice, but that time is hard to come by. I'll have to figure out something, though.