BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

From Idea To Story - Part 3

This is part 3 series of blogs that will run through how I take an idea and make it into a story. This is my process and it might not work for everyone. It might not even work for me on my next project. The one thing that I've learned is that my process will (and has) changed over the years. Sometimes drastically.

Sunday Night - February 26, 2012

I always like pictures of my characters when I write and I went searching as soon as the names were set. The hero's personality had come through loud and clear and I had a pretty good idea of what he looked like. I figured he was going to be hard to find, so I started looking for the heroine first.

This might have been an error in judgment since I didn't have a good grasp on her appearance or personality at this point. Still, I figured I'd know her when I saw her. I started out thinking she had some red in her hair. A search through auburn and redheaded models didn't turn up anyone who clicked. I expanded my search to other hair colors.

It wasn't quick, but I found a model that I thought was my heroine. I began a search for more pictures of her and put them all in a file for this book.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Doubt started to creep in. Was this model really what my heroine looked like? When I got home from work, I opened the picture file again and went through every shot. I waffled.

Waffling isn't good. Waffling means it probably isn't the heroine.

I continued to waffle for the rest of the week. I liked her and she was perfect. Really. Only I found myself wanting to email my friends and ask them for their opinion. That really didn't bode well.