BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 02, 2012

Guilty Pleasure: Ancient Aliens

History Channel and H2 have a show called Ancient Aliens that qualifies as a guilty pleasure. For those of you who've never heard of the show or know what it's about, it's basically talking about how aliens visited Earth in the past. Each episode has a different focus, but it all revolves around aliens in the ancient past.

I will admit that I got hooked on this premise early. When I was in grade school, one of my relatives had a copy of Erich von Daniken's book Chariots of the Gods, and while we were visiting, I started reading it. I had to be 9 or so and I was fascinated.

That fascination never went away and when I stumbled on Ancient Aliens a while back, it became my favorite show.

This kind of show and the ideas presented make mainstream archaeologists go insane. Honestly, I don't care. Every time I watch the show plot bunnies leap to life in my brain, so I've decided it's writing related and this gives me a pass. Let the archaeologists cringe--I'm enjoying it.