BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 09, 2012

It's Not the Heat

This is another blog topic suggestion. If you have something you'd like me to blog about, please let me know.

I've been living in Atlanta for seven months now. The question I've been getting a lot lately is how I'm dealing with the heat. The heat isn't really a big deal. Believe it or not, Minnesota gets just as hot and nearly as humid in the summer. The only differences are 1) Summer is much shorter in Minneapolis and 2) We get breaks in the humidity.

In Minneapolis, we might have a week or even two of high heat/high humidity, but then the dew point will plummet from high 60s or low 70s to the 50s. It only lasts for a couple of days before the dew point climbs again, but the break is nice. There hasn't been any break in Atlanta, but with air conditioning, it's really not that big a deal.

What's a big deal for me is the bugs.

I've had three palmetto bugs in the house now and they freak me out every time. They're the most enormous bug I've ever seen and they've actually managed to make centipedes seem preferable--at least in comparison.

The other thing I'm having trouble with is the time zone change. Still. I'm not tired when I should go to bed and can't wake up when I'm supposed to get up. I've been told by people who've switched time zones that it can take a year to acclimate. I personally think GA should just go to central time. ;-) I believe this is a major factor in my difficulty in writing. I'm in a perpetual state of exhaustion.

But other than those two things (and traffic/commute time) overall, I like it fine down here. I for darn sure prefer the winters here to the ones in MN and not having to wear a heavy jacket very often? Complete awesomeness.