BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Influences Part 2

Last week I mentioned influences, but I realized I forgot some.

As a kid, I was fascinated by Star Trek reruns. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm a Trekkie because I can take it or leave it now, but as a child? I couldn't get enough. Same thing with Star Wars. I watched it on television so many times that I had lines of dialogue memorized.

I think this formed a base for my love of science fiction. Before I even knew futuristic romance existed, I wanted to write it. And was told by my teacher that I had to pick either romance or SF because there was no such thing as a hybrid.

I also had a fascination with paranormal things, too. As a kid, I read a ton of stuff on ghosts, anything the library had...and spent time sleeping with the lights on because the books scared the heck out of me. But I also watched vampire movies and always sympathized with Count Dracula and wanted Harker and Van Helsing to lose. I also wanted the count to get the girl. :-) In fact, I never understood why anyone wanted Harker or Van Helsing to win.

I watched a ton of vampire movies and it didn't matter how bad they were. I watched Nick Knight and wrote my own story in my head of a female vampire from his past who returned to him and that he happily accepted what he was once his true heroine was there.

Lost Boys. I loved that movie. Loved! And I still thought Michael should have embraced being a vampire.

Well, you get the idea. I used to think I was alone. I sought out paranormal romance (and futuristic romance) once I discovered it, but there was almost nothing out there. I kept hunting out old titles so I could read more. When I first sold Ravyn's Flight in 2002 and was looking for an agent, a lot of literary agencies had a note next to their names: "No Paranormal Romance."

And then paranormal romance exploded and I finally had enough to read.