BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 03, 2013

To 2013

Last week, while paging through Pinterest, I saw a number of people had pinned a graphic that basically said 2013 is going to be better. My first reaction was 2012 was great. And then I thought about it a little more. Um, no, 2012 wasn't great.

This was my year of utter turmoil. On Jan 1, 2012, I started my drive down to Georgia. It was the beginning of my great relocation epic that isn't over yet. I arrived in Atlanta on Jan 2nd and torqued the hell out of my knee on January 3rd. Yes, nothing quite like being laid up for a few days. Luckily, a few days of rest took care of the pain, but it wasn't an auspicious start to my new life.

2012 was also the year in which I pretty much didn't write and what little I did write, sucked. Hard. I did finally get going again toward the end of the year, but it was painful in the meantime.

I also spent most of the year in a state of perpetual exhaustion because I couldn't adjust to Eastern time. It honestly took me nine months to acclimate. And even when I could get to bed at a reasonable hour, I had a lot of insomnia. I blame some of that on the time difference, too, because my body disagreed with my brain's version of what time it was.

The year wasn't all bad. I didn't die.

No, I'm not being melodramatic. I almost got smooshed by a semi, and at the speed he was traveling and with the vehicles in front of me, if he'd hit me, I would have died. Instead of looking at this event as a negative for 2012, I've decided to look at it as a positive. It's also what compelled me to join the van pool to work, so I should have less stress not driving here and save some wear and tear on the car.

It's the year where I didn't have to deal with huge amounts of snow or months of frigid temperatures. Atlanta is much more temperate than Minnesota.

I was trying to come up with some more positives, but I've got nothing else, so 2012 must have really been a sucky year.

This upcoming year is going to hold more challenges for me as I try to sell my house up in Minnesota and find one here in Atlanta. Since I love my house up north and had it specially built just the way I like it, I think both events are going to be difficult for me.

But here's to 2013. May it be a better year for all of us!