BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Things Change

First, before I start blogging, there will be a special post tomorrow with information about a multi-author book sale that begins Feb 13th. Make sure to come back and find out the scoop.

Now on to the day's topic. The past fourteen months have brought about a lot of changes for me. Moving 1100 miles was the biggie, but there have been lots of adjustments and changes in my life because of this. Some have been big, others not so big. Today I'm talking about one of the small ones.

When I worked in Minneapolis, I usually listened to my iPod while I was at my job. Partly it was to drown out the coworker from hell--he was very loud and very annoying--but part of it was to keep myself entertained. I especially enjoyed listening to audio books and could get so involved in them that I'd lose track of time.

Down here, though, I haven't been able to do that much. My job is still the same job--more or less--but the projects I'm getting now are more complex and require more of my attention.

I'm also surrounded by a lot more activity and get interrupted more often. I had a cube to myself in Minneapolis, here I share a pod with three other people. There's a constant stream of people in and out of the cube, plus activity going on around the cube.

There's some audiobooks I'd really like to listen to, but just haven't had enough time. The car was out from the start. I needed my complete attention on the road down here. I'm sorry, but driving in Atlanta is like trying to commute through the middle of a NASCAR race.

I thought I might be able to start listening to some audio once I joined the van pool since I can't read in a moving vehicle, but that hasn't worked out either. I feel rude plugging in especially when there are conversations going on. I've got a real backlog of audio books to listen to right now, so I guess I'm going to have to figure something out.