BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Lessons Learned


Another blog written in Minnesota: I learned a few things while I was getting my house ready to sell. I thought I'd share some of my (ahem) wisdom here.
First thing I learned (big time) was to get rid of stuff instead of hanging onto it. I spent monster time going through my house last year and clearing out things. I can't even tell you how many boxes of clothes and other things I gave to charity. I do know that I donated more than 3,000 books to the library.
With God as my witness, I swear I will never let things accumulate like this again. It felt really good to get rid of old things, even the books. I felt like this burden was lifted from me with each box that went out the door. I wish I'd had more time because if I had, I think I could have gotten rid of a lot more stuff.
Second lesson learned was that Mr. Clean's Magic Erasers are 1) Awesome! and 2) don't last very long, so have lots on hand for big projects. (I receive no consideration of any sort to mention the Magic Erasers and I bought the box myself.)
I don't know what is in those things and I don't care. There wasn't much the Magic Eraser didn't do well. By the way, beyond awesome for taking smudge marks off walls. Just have a damp cloth to wipe the wall afterward because it leaves a slightly white residue behind. I couldn't see it on my really light walls, but on even slightly darker ones, it was noticeable.
The thing is that I'd tried to get those smudges off by washing the walls. That lightened them, but didn't get rid of them. I didn't even have to rub very hard with the magic erasers. They handled just about every tough job I had. Highly recommended.
Third lesson learned: Don't store candles inside a white drawer without wrapping them in something first. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the dye from the candles would permeate the wood and nothing—not even the Magic Eraser—could touch this problem.
The fourth lesson learned I guess ties back to the first. I'm happiest when I have fewer things in the house. I confess to dumping a boatload of stuff at my parents' house to get my house to look as good as it did and I like the less cluttered feel. When I find a house in Atlanta and start unpacking boxes, I'm going to make an effort to get rid of more stuff.
I know, it's silly to move it to begin with, but like I said, time in Minnesota is so limited that I just don't have any more days to spend going through things to get rid of it before it gets put on a moving truck. I will do what I can, but I want to make a concerted effort to shed more things.