BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pick a Topic, Any Topic

I'm supposed to be writing a guest blog right now, but instead, I'm working on my own blog. Why? Because it's easier to talk here. You see, when invited to guest blog around a new release, the author is supposed to talk about the new release. In theory, this should be easy. It's not.

The first problem is there's no specific topic. Just talk about your story. Anything. Well, that's like getting a paper assigned in school and being told you can write about anything you want. Instead of making it easier, that broad expanse of possibility makes it harder. Really. It was much easier in school to riff on a topic when the parameters were narrowed.

The second issue is that I've been invited to blog about my current release. I turned that in last August. Not only was that nearly 5 months ago now, but I wrote another full novella since then. Even writing about that story would be difficult because It's been about 6 weeks since I finished that one and those details are getting fuzzy, too.

Throw in the fact that I forgot all about the guest blog until late last night and that I need to turn it in tonight. Add in that I'm tired because I've been up since 4am and worked at my day job. Now I need to find a topic and be interesting in 300-400 words. Oh, and one additional handicap--I've been writing since I was 15 so I don't really know what a person who doesn't write would find interesting to hear about.

I'm not asking for suggestions. It's too late for that. I'm just kind of lamenting the task that lies ahead of me before I can go to bed. :-)