BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Ice Ice Baby

As I'm writing this, Atlanta is under threat of an ice storm. This has me anxious--really anxious. I'm from Minnesota; we hardly ever get ice. It's pretty much only snow with a few exceptions now and then. I don't know how to deal with an ice storm.

It's been predicted that power will go down. For a long time. Losing power in winter? I can count on one hand the number of times that's happened when I lived in Minnesota and then, it was usually a matter of hours, not days. How the hell do you cope without heat for days on end? Even if it warms up to the 50s after a couple of days, that's still two or three days of cold temperatures.

They're saying to ensure you have enough water. I'm guessing that's for people with wells because city water still works without electricity. They're saying trees and branches can come down. I'm looking at the trees that surround my house with trepidation.

The ice isn't due in until Tuesday late in the afternoon into Wednesday, so there's a little time, but it's still nerve wracking. I'd rather deal with 31 inches of snow in Minneapolis than half an inch of ice in Atlanta.

I don't even want to think about the drive home after the commute that I went through 2 weeks ago. And I wasn't even one of the people stuck on the freeway for 12 hours plus.