BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Small Re-Read Binge

I'm on another re-read binge of some favorite books that I read maybe 10 years ago. They were long out of print when I found them--I'll spare you the epic search I had to go through to get copies--but they were worth the hunt. I rebought them a few months ago when I found them in ebook. The books are Jayne Ann Krentz's Guinevere Jones series. She wrote them as Jayne Castle.

First thing that jumped out at me was how dated some of the references were. No cell phones when the books were written in the mid/late 80s and other technology things, but that's to be expected. If I'd bought the books and found out they'd been updated to accomodate all the new things that have come along since they were written, they wouldn't be the same books I fell in love with.

Aside from this small thing and the 1980s/1990s thing where authors used characters names in dialogue every time they spoke to each other--sometimes mulitple name uses in the same paragraph of dialogue--the books held up very well. I'm enjoying them and I'm so glad I have a chance to revisit the stories.

I've read 2 of the 4 books in the series so far and I can recommend them if you're looking for romantic suspense.

Not every book I used to love has held up as well as these have to the passage of time, but when an old favorite remains a favorite, that's awesomeness!