BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Suspicious Attachment

I don't know about you guys, but I have been getting a ton of email with suspicious attachments over the last two to three weeks. I have my website email filtered through Gmail to help deal with the spam issue and over and over recently Gmail has sent a warning saying that this or that email was left on the server because of the attachment.

I'm not sure what the virus/malware senders hope to achieve because I think most people now are too savvy to open attachments from people they don't know, no matter how legit (or not) the mail might look. Oh, sure, it's cheap to send email and there are a few people around who don't know any better, but is the number really large enough to warrant a barrage of suspicious spam? Maybe it is, but it has become annoying to deal with the onslaught.

Just an FYI, I delete these emails right on the server so they are never on my computer so even if the virus is in the email itself and not the attachment, I'm still covered. I'm very careful with my laptops.

I've been weighing the pros and cons of changing my website email address to something different just to thwart the spammers and virus emailers, but I'm afraid this might cause more work for me than dealing with the emails.

We'll see what happens, but I wish these people would use their powers for good and not evil.