BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Bait and Switch

I've been using Office 2010 at home for years now, but I never felt the need to customize the ribbon. Then we got 2010 at work and I continually hit the wrong icon in Word. The answer seemed easy--take the icon I didn't want and wouldn't use off the ribbon.

Confident--I knew exactly where to go to fix my ribbon--I soon found out that my brilliant plan wouldn't work. Why? Because Microsoft does not truly allow you to customize their ribbon.

I could create a brand new ribbon, but I was not allowed to remove anything, not a single, solitary thing from the ribbons they created for Word 2010. Really, Microsoft? Really? That's your idea of customizable? Because it doesn't fit my definition at all.

All I wanted to do was remove the Increase/Decrease Font Size icons. I didn't want to cause anarchy.

Microsoft, though, doesn't seem to really want to let its users do much customizing. For example, there is no way at all to turn off the your-email-has-no-subject pop-up. I tried. I even did an online search because I couldn't figure out how to do it. Only to learn that you're not allow to turn that off. Gee, thanks, Microsoft.