BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Facebook Annoyances

There are so many things about Facebook that drive me nuts. It's especially annoying because they don't allow any easy way to fix them.***

For an example, someone I'm not friends with invited me to three events! Three! Someone I am NOT friends with. Why does FB allow this? Who knows? Can I put this woman under block from sending invites? Hell, no, I can't because I'm not friend with there. WTF?

I don't know if complete strangers can send event invites because this woman is an author and--of course--we have many mutual friends. Maybe this my friends friends thing applies here. It doesn't matter. I hate it.

Why can't Facebook let me turn off ALL event invitations? Authors continually use the event function to spam their friends.

I'm also tired of FB dictating what I see in my news feed. A post from two days ago that I read and have no interest in was at the top of my feed again today because others commented on it. I don't care. Seriously. I'd rather see what my friends are posting today. I'd also don't think Facebook knows what I want to see or from whom.

And don't get me started about those stupid games. Those I have blocked, but Facebook throws a bazillion ads for them in one of my feeds. Every other post has another ad stuffed after it. Facebook, I'm not going to play any games. Stop bugging me with those ads.

I'm also tired of seeing every single person my friends have friended or page they've liked. I'm friends with a lot of authors who friend a lot of people. Many, many authors are also notoriously bad with computers and they don't turn off this notification being sent out far and wide--probably because they have no clue that you can, of if they do, how to do it.

I know why Facebook likes this feature--it might help people find mutual friends--but damn is it annoying. BTW, I do have this turned off so none of my friends see when I friend someone else. If only all authors would do this.

And while I'm complaining, Facebook, why the lag time when I'm scrolling down the news feeds? It's not a brief hesitation, it's many seconds before it finally goes. The farther down the feed I want to go, the slower the script is to let me scroll. So annoying.

There are many, many other things about Facebook that annoy the hell out of me, but I'll stop here.

***Edited to add: Facebook is now letting me block invites from people right when I delete their invitation! This is how it used to be and I'm glad to see it back. This will make it so much easier, even if I still have to block one by one.