BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Vacuum Sealed

Or my most exciting recent purchase. ;-)

I'd been thinking about getting one of those vacuum sealers for food because I like to buy in bulk and I can't go through things fast enough. I hate throwing food away, but I've done it many times because it sits too long. I had a conversation with someone who already had one, read some reviews and bought one.

I didn't have anything fresh to use it on since I hadn't grocery shopped in a while, but I decided to break up some packages of meat in the freezer. This way I wouldn't have to thaw out everything to get one steak or hamburger.

The directions on how to use it weren't that good, but I decided to wing it. As it turned out, it was so easy that instructions were unnecessary.

I quickly ran through the starter bags included in the box. Luckily, there are instructions for making your own bags from a roll of plastic. That worked easily too and I continued to bag and seal.

I've only used it once so far, but I can see this being a good purchase for me. The unfortunate thing is that vegetables have to be blanched before they can be vacuum packed. Like I'm ever going to do that. Overall, though, I can see this as something I use often, so money well spent.