BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 09, 2014

No Through Traffic

One of the things that I really appreciate about my new house and the neighborhood it's in is that I don't have to deal with through traffic. At my Minnesota house, there was so much traffic that I had an apron added to the driveway so I could pull out nose first. This was especially helpful in the winter when the snow mounds at the ends of the drive were high enough that it was hard to see over them.

I didn't really realize, though, that every street wasn't like that. I figured that unless I lived on a cul-de-sac, that I'd just have to deal. When I moved into my new house last year, I even tried to figure out where I'd add the apron, but because of the steep hill, there was really no good way to turn around.

As it turns out, I don't need the apron of concrete. I can actually back out of my driveway onto the street, without any worries. You see, my new street doesn't act like a conduit for other neighborhoods to cut through to get from point A to point B. The only people who drive down the street actually live on it. OMG, this is so blissful, and because I lived toward the end of the street, I have even fewer vehicles to worry about.

This makes me really happy.