BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Making a House a Home

One of my laments to my mom and dad is that my house in Georgia doesn't feel like a home. I like my house a lot, but my house in Minnesota, that was my home. I've decided, though, that it's not a matter of place so much as how I have the house put together--or not put together as the case might be.

When I moved in, the house had blinds on all the windows, but only two rooms have curtains--the dining room and the front room--and that's only because I asked for the drapes in the contract to buy the house. I remembered that my Minnesota house felt really sterile to me, too, until I put up curtains in my kitchen. I'm still debating whether or not to put curtains up in my breakfast area of the kitchen, but I decided to do the bedrooms for sure.

Because I had one big window in MN versus the three small ones I have here, it meant shopping. Here's a picture I took of the curtain rods I'm going to use.


That's glass at the end of the rod and it looks super cool in person. I'm going with sheer curtains with a pattern in them in fuchsia and yes, I did shop for my curtains in the teen girls section. :-) What can I say? I love bright colors and this bright pink happens to be my favorite.

I have curtains from my spare bedroom in MN that I'm going to use in my guest room here and another set of curtains that I'd had in my master bedroom that will work in the other spare room. I'm still debating whether or not to put curtains up in the office. I guess it will depend on what it looks like when I'm done organizing and cleaning it.

I also need to get some more artwork up on the walls. In my MN house, I had a lot of windows and that left me with little need for wall decorations.

Here, though, I have a lot more wall to deal with. This is something I'll be slow about doing, though, because I need time to consider what I want to live with. For example, I have a long, narrow foyer and I found some super cool prints that showed the planets in our solar system like they were travel destinations. I started to buy them and then I realized that I wasn't sure I wouldn't get bored with that before too long and is that really what I want in my entry? I don't know, so I'll wait.

I do have a few silk flower arrangements and I'm thinking about a runner for my dining room table. I need to brainstorm a little more because I want to feel like I'm home when I'm in my house.