BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Topics, Topics Everywhere, But Not a One to Write

I've kind of been stuck for blog topics again. I'm blaming my insomnia for this. I go through stretches where I don't get more than a couple of hours of sleep a night and my brain doesn't function well when I'm in this place. So once again, I went in search of blog topics for fiction writers. One of the suggestions: Interview a character.

Cool, I thought, this I can do. Then the problem becomes who do I interview. I search my brain only to see characters trying really hard to blend into the woodwork. Imagine them all avoiding eye contact. One heroine is studying her fingernails, a few of my guys are looking at the floor or the ceiling, a few are edging backward. Yeah, this is going well so far. It's like in Ferris Bueller's Day Off when the teacher says: "Bueller, Bueller, Bueller" and there's no response.

Since I want these characters to cooperate with me when I write them, I decide that this isn't the subject I'm going to push them on. They don't want to be interviewed, that's fine. There are more blogging ideas.

Describe your office was another suggestion. Um, no. I don't even go in my office if I can avoid it. It's a disorganized mess compounded by never putting things away from when I moved in. I did take a picture of my office, but I'm not sharing that disaster until I have an after picture to show it all put away nicely.

Looks like I'm on my own. Hopefully, I'll have a more interesting idea for next time.