BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Story Spreadsheets

Since I took my spreadsheet class, I've really gotten into making spreadsheets work for me. I have one for my budget, for my checkbook register, for keeping track of where I am on paying off my car loan. It can do some cool stuff, but I haven't found any templates for stories.

Oh, sure, there are a bunch of free spreadsheets out there for tracking word count or royalty payments, but I want one that's directly related to story. I've found spreadsheets that keep track of what happened in each scene, but I do that on the calendar I use to keep track of time in my story. I was hoping someone would have template that did more than that.

So what am I looking for? I'm not quite sure, to be honest. If I had a handle on this, I could probably create my own instead of searching the web for what other authors do.

I guess I want something that's going to help me be organized and help me keep track of details and maybe do something magical that will instantly solve my issues with keeping details in some kind of order. I'm notoriously bad about having details scattered everywhere and then not being able to find it when I need it. Even Scrivener hasn't answered all my problems.

Right now, I'll have book details in Scrivener, in my browser's bookmarks, in notebooks, in Word documents, and yes, I do have spreadsheets of my own. It's not very chaotic and I don't like that.