BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Click Bait

One of my biggest frustration in following some pages on Facebook is the click bait tactics they use to get readers to go to their site. We're not talking about some fly-by-night, ten people follow them pages either. Every day in my pages feed, I see stuff like:

"But pay attention to what the doctor does. I'm crying!"
Do you think there's enough on the story to even hint at what's going on? Nope, of course not. To find out what the story is actually about, I'll have to click on the link and read it.

"But when the puppy does this, I can't stop laughing."
 What? For heaven's sake, what???

"They weren't expecting to be surprised by this."
Seriously, WTF? I'm unliking the pages that do this, and I guarantee you that no matter how curious I was, I wasn't going to click over to find out what was going on. Not as mad as the tactic makes me. I just unliked another page less than five minutes ago.

And speaking of the FB feed, why does the stupid scrolling script lock up my computer all the time. Literally all the time. At first I just thought it was my old computer, but it's happening on my iPad too, so I'm blaming the programmers and that they wrote a poor script. It can lock me up for a couple of minutes when it happens and I can't do anything else online, not even click over to another tab to browse another site. Grrr.