BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Case of the Missing Flashlight

I'm sleeping when a loud crack of thunder wakes me up. I sit bolt upright, put on my shoes, and grab the flashlight. I didn't realize it was going to storm and my laptop was still plugged in. Yeah, I have a surge protector, but I don't like to take chances.

I rush for the family room, unplug it, and then I hear a noise. I direct the flashlight that direction, but realize I'm going to need the big light. So I walk across the room, turn on the recessed lights, and see a problem I have to deal with. There's water dripping down from my ceiling vent. I grab a couple of bowls to put under it and sit up a while to see what's happening.

After the storm dies down, I decide to go back to bed, but I can't find my flashlight. It's not anywhere.

It was 2am and I decided I could find it tomorrow. I went back to sleep. The next day, when I got home from work, I look for the flashlight. I still can't find it, not anywhere.

I check the kitchen. I even look inside the pantry and refrigerator just in case. Nada. I check the family room. I look under the couch and under the coffee table. Nothing. I couldn't have thrown it in the trash. Could I?

I shift garbage around, but I don't see anything. Unsure if it's hiding, I grab another bag and start moving garbage into it so I can see more of the big bag. No flashlight.

I'm pretty sure the flashlight has to be in either the kitchen or the great room, but I check my bedroom anyway. Nope, not there. I even open a few drawers. Just in case. It's very frustrating because that flashlight has to be somewhere in this house, but I can't find it.

Anywhere.

ETA: I found it the day after I wrote this post. When I wasn't looking for it. It was behind a cushion on a chair in my family room. I have no memory of going near the chair let alone dropping the flashlight on it, but at least it's found.