BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, July 02, 2015

Choreography and Writing and Process

The scenes that are slowest for me to write are the ones that require a lot of choreography. Most often these are fight scenes or love scenes, but sometimes other scenes fall into this category too. I also have to revise through them multiple times, layering everything in because I can't seem to write everything at one time.

I do try to get everything in there on the first draft. I'm used to writing very cleanly and my first draft is usually fairly close to the final version. This is also one of the reasons why I'm a slow writer, but that's a story for another day. :-) So I find it very frustrating that when I reread what I wrote the day before to find it's missing things. Generally, I'm so caught up in who's doing what, where, and how that I forget to thread in emotion. Or dialogue. And anything else that isn't choreography.

After all these years, I've finally accepted that this is just the way it needs to be. That doesn't mean I don't try to get it all in there, but I'm not surprised to go back the next day and do more work. And the day after that and the day after that.

In a way, I envy the writers who can fast draft because they get the story down and then worry about all of that later, but I can't write like that. Maybe some day I'll be able to because I never say never, not the way writing process continually changes, but for right now, I just accept that this is my way of doing these scenes.