BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Organization Epiphany

I have an endless problem with organization. I really, really want to be organized, but somehow I can't quite manage it. One of the worst places is my computer. I try to be organized there, too, but that's just been a massive fail no matter what I try. It seems my writing notes, pictures, chapters are scattered everywhere.

The other day I found an article on line--Zen and the Art of File and Folder Organization. It's a long article and I haven't finished reading through the entire thing yet, but there was one idea in there that was just mind blowing for me. It was so simple, so easy and I never thought of it.

Put all files that belong together in the same folder no matter what kind of file it is.

It was like I got whacked in the head with a two by four. It was that kind of epiphany. Suddenly, I could see everything I have for a book/story/idea in one place, not a half dozen and it was beautiful! I also felt extremely stupid. Why the heck didn't I think of this before I read it? I'm chalking it up to being organizationally challenged despite my best efforts.

I'll confess that I haven't actually had time yet to implement this idea yet, and maybe I'll fail miserably even with this new-to-me concept. Even so, if it makes it easier for me to find my writing stuff if nothing else, it would totally be worth it.

As I read more of the article, I'm hoping there will be more tips that will work for me and that I can incorporate. I'd really love it if I could tame my computer even if I can't tame my office.