BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Turn Down the Volume

Kind of often, I see this picture on the internet of someone following driving directions with their hand on the radio's volume knob and the punchline is like "you turn down the radio so you can see better."

Can I confess this makes me nuts? Turning down the radio has nothing to do with what you see. The reason we turn down the radio when we're lost or need to find the right address has to do with concentration. The music interferes with our ability to concentrate and when we're driving in a new-to-us area, we need to focus without distraction.

Why do people keep perpetuating this meme when the answer is so apparent?

It bugs me, and as you might have guessed, I just saw it again a few minutes ago. It's just so wrong and I'm not sure why it keeps getting repeated.