BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Digital Magazines

I decided to give digital magazines a try. I simply don't have room for paper copies, and since I usually have my iPad with me, it's theoretically easier to read a little bit here and there while I'm waiting. I say theoretically because it actually hasn't worked that way. It kind of goes like this:

I get a notification on my iPad that my new issue is available. This always seems to come in at a time when I can't download, so I think to myself, I'll have to remember to do that. I promptly forget. Days or weeks go by before it crosses my brain again.

Because I download so infrequently, I inevitably forget how to download and I end up with two (or more) covers of my magazine issue grayed out with an X below, saying downloading paused. Tapping the X brings up the question: Do you want to cancel the download. Um, no, I want the issue to finish downloading. That, however, isn't an option.

Last night, I was clicking around and somehow ended up in the store where it showed the current issue of my magazine with a Download button. I got my issue! Hurrah! Too bad for me, the second copy of the same issue is still grayed out and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Now I just have to read the one that did download. The setup seems weird to me, though. I want to page through it like a magazine or like an ebook, but there's some paging and some scrolling. The magazine doesn't seem to have as much material as the paper version, but I'm not sure if that's true or of it's a problem with my not realizing it's there. I wish it was setup mostly like the paper version so I could flip around and browse.

So I get frustrated with the digital version and I tell myself I'll look at it later, but again, I forget that it's there. Then I get the notice that the next issue is available and the cycle starts again.

I think when my subscription runs out, I'll either cancel or go back to paper. The digital version isn't working for me at all.