BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

TV ala Carte

Lately there have been a few stories in the news about consumers wanting cable television to go to an ala carte format. I like the idea because there are so many channels I don't watch and probably never will. On the other hand, I'd hate to see smaller channels have to pander for purchases--that would be worse than pandering for ratings, I'm sure of it. Also, what if something comes up that is on one of these channels I never watch and then I'm out of luck?

As you can see, I'm pretty wishy washy on this idea.

One of these articles guesstimated that most people would want around twenty channels. That made me wonder what are my must-have channels?

MLB Network
HGTV
History
H2
Weatherscan (It shows the local forecast over and over in a loop and nothing else)
Smithsonian Channel
CNN for when something big happens
The local channel that shows baseball games

And um, maybe ESPN, but I'd only watch baseball, so maybe not.

Definitely less than twenty here. If they offered this idea, I'm sure I could throw a few outliers in to get to that number, but it's really something when you have like 200 channels and there's nothing on.