BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, September 03, 2015

But I Don't Want It

The other day, when I went to get the mail, I have a magazine in there that I didn't subscribe to. Maybe it's a sample issue with a invitation to subscribe. At least that's what I'm hoping it is at this point. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking, please don't let that kid who went around the neighborhood have just signed me up without my permission.

Unfortunately, not only wasn't there a card saying, hey, try our magazine, but when I looked at the mailing label, I see that I have a year's subscription. Well, hell.

I find a website for the magazine and go to the contact us page. I fill out the form, type in all the information from my label, and told them I didn't subscribe to their magazine, that I didn't want it, and that I better not be getting charged for it. I said it very politely, BTW.

And the note bounced back because the email address I sent it to didn't exist. What?!? I filled out a form; the site automatically mailed itself to whatever address the webmaster put in there.

Frustrated, I go back to the site and start looking for some way to contact them. Then I noticed there was a place to check on your account and all I needed was the information from my label. Once I logged in and saw my account, I relaxed a little bit. Yes, I did have a year's subscription, but it said I did not owe them any money and it would not auto-renew.

Now I had to figure out the mystery of how I got the magazine. The only thing that's come to mind is I think there was something about a free subscription when I purchased shoes online. I don't really remember because I didn't want the magazine and I figured no action meant I wouldn't get it. I guess I was wrong.