BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Hers and Shes

After a couple of chapters that wrote fairly quickly for me, I suddenly became bogged down in the third chapter. I mulled, I rewrote, I mulled some more, but nothing seemed to get the slowness, the awkwardness out of it. I kept writing anyway and then epiphany!

You see, I had my heroine and another woman who was manning the counter of a coffeehouse discussing my heroine's deceased aunt and then the woman who owns the coffeehouse making an appearance. Yeah. All those shes and hers. It was a mess. An awkward and unwieldy mess. And as I was thinking about all the gymnastics I was going through to differentiate between the women, I had my doh! moment. Too many women.

I'm not sure why it took me so long to figure it out because once I got it, it became crystal clear. The secondary server at the coffeehouse isn't needed. The owner, however, is necessary since she'd destined to become one of my heroine's best friends.

Sorry, Miss Rosa, you've been cut from the story.