BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Batman, Robin and the Bad Guys

Watching Batman as an adult is a great way to spend a couple of hours. I'm talking about the 1966 movie with Adam West, Burt Ward, Burgess Meredith, Lee Meriwether and the others. I think kids would see the action, but adults can see the humor. It's campy as hell and the actors knew it and I think that's part of the fun.

While my parents are living with me, we've been watching a lot of movies. Because my mom doesn't like swearing or sexy stuff, that limits what we can watch. We've seen a lot of kids' movies, but Batman is the only movie that's kept both my parents awake until the closing credits.

Near the beginning, Batman has a shark chomping down on his leg. Robin's response? "Holy Sardine, Batman." Heh!

The plot is over the top. The bad guys have teamed up (Penguin, Cat Woman, The Joker, and The Riddler) to take over the world by kidnapping the movie's version of the United Nations. They have a device that dehydrates people, turning them into dust. They can be re-hydrated later.

I will confess that while the movie is a lot of fun, I usually end up rooting for the bad guys. I love Cat Woman and the Penguin and Cesar Romero's Joker. Their costumes are great (I especially love the colors of the Joker's suit!) and they're more fun than Batman and Robin are. I also love reading romances with bad boy heroes, so that might say something about me, I guess.

But of course, Batman won the day. He can do everything and has every gadget. He always seems to be carrying the right one with him when the chips are down, too. And the few times he didn't save himself, dumb luck saved them. Like the bat copter crashing into a pile of foam rubber.

Aside from rooting for the bad guys, the other thing that kind of bugs me about the movie is the way Cat Woman is shown not fighting. She stands around and lets the men fight. I also hated the fact that she trips as she's fleeing from Batman and then just stays there instead of trying to get up. Especially while Batman and Robin are just standing around, not doing anything. I know, it was made in 1966, but still...

Anyway, it's good fun and I think it's something the whole family can watch and be entertained by. It's live action, but very cartoony and no one really gets hurt. An enjoyable enough way to spend a couple of hours.