BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Scorpion Horror Story

I've made no secret of the fact that I hate scorpions and I hate finding them in my house, but recently my squeamishness level went up about five notches.

Every scorpion I've found in my house has always been on the floor. Step on them with nice, strong-soled shoes to kill them and then sweep up the carcass. Theoretically, I knew they could climb walls and stuff because I'd heard stories, but I thought that maybe Georgia scorpions didn't do that or preferred not to do it or something along those lines. Still horrible to deal with, but not as bad as it could be. And then it happened.

I was in my bathroom and walked out of the water closet area and what did I see? A black thing on the top of my shower wall. At first I thought it was a centipede because that's where they like to hang out, but then I saw the claws.

Okay, so I kind of freaked out. What if it was morning? What if I was taking a shower? What if that thing fell on my head and stung me? OMG!

Luckily my dad was here. He knocked the scorpion down to the shower floor with his cane and squished it with the end of it. Situation solved. Except now I know Georgia scorpions can and will climb walls. This is the stuff of nightmares for me. The pest control company is going to have to make another visit out here.