BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

This Study Makes Me Sad

Recently, I read an article about a study that was conducted. The results? People who end texts in periods are viewed as insincere, "probably because the people sending them are heartless." Washington post article.

WTF? When did using proper grammar make someone heartless?

FWIW, I always text in complete sentences with proper punctuation. I also capitalize the words that require capitalization, and get so frustrated when auto correct messes up my words. I am not being insincere and I'm not heartless. I simply believe that abandoning proper grammar is barbaric.

The article I linked to also mentions that the exclamation mark makes people believe you're being more sincere. This is a follow-up study. Exclamation marks? I like them. I use them, but sparingly. If everything ends in ! how do you know when I'm really excited about something? Writers are taught not to overuse exclamation marks. Sigh.

I'm not opposed to language being fluid, but seriously, let's keep some standards. Like proper punctuation without hyperbole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (see what I did here?)