BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Score Another One For Geico

Recently, I gave some faint praise to Geico's advertising agency for their Peter Pan TV commercial because the concept was clever. Now, I have to give them full praise and it kind of hurts. I've hated their ads for so long... Ah, well, I'll get over it.

FYI, for those of you who don't know it, I graduated from college with a degree in advertising copywriting, so I have a strong interest in this topic. I also tend to watch ads in a different way than normal people do. Even when I hate an ad, I can see the tactics behind it and judge the success based on that. I've said more than once that the Geico ads are very effective--I just don't like them. Until this latest spot.

The ad I love is called "Spy: It's What You Do" and it features a spy fighting off bad guys while he talks to his mom on the phone about squirrels in the attic.

I'm not sure why this tickles me so much, but it does. I love that the guy won't just hang up on his mom even given the situation he's in. It's sweet and it's the kind of thing a romance hero would do, at least some of them would. :-)

Of course, I enjoy the action/adventure part of the commercial and I think the actors did a fine job pulling off the concept. For me, it's a lot of fun. I also love the fact that the father won't hire an exterminator to get the squirrels because "this time it's personal." Heh!

Disclaimer: Believe me, Geico is not paying me anything for my opinions on their advertising. :-) As critical as I usually am of their stuff, they'd probably prefer I never blog about them again.