BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Review: Scooby Doo: The Mystery Begins

The other night, I was flipping through my On Demand choices and found Scooby Doo: The Mystery Begins. Since I love Scooby Doo, I decided to give it a try. I didn't expect too much since it had actors and animation mixed together, but I really ended up enjoying it.

If you've seen the Scooby Doo cartoons, you can guess the plot of the movie. The one twist is that the characters ride the school bus together and aren't friends already. What gets them together as a group is when they're put on detention together and then suspended. Clearly, they have to solve the mystery of the ghosts and clear their names.

This movie had me laughing a few times and smiling other times. It was fun, good hearted, and the actors they picked for the roles filled them admirably. Of all of them though, my favorite was Nick Palatas who played Shaggy. He looked the part and he had the Shaggy voice down perfectly. He also managed to make Shaggy hot and I didn't expect that.

The movie gives the characters backstories that the cartoon didn't. I also don't remember them having surnames before (but I could be wrong about that). This film gave them last names and gave Shaggy a real name. Again, I don't remember the cartoons ever giving him any other name.

I give the film 4 stars. It might be too intense for younger children, but anyone who's a fan of Scooby Doo will probably enjoy it. Now I'd like to see the next one, Scooby Doo: The Curse of the Lake Monster.

Disclaimer: I watched this movie free on On Demand and received no compensation for this review.