BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Scanning Stuff

Paper is a challenge. I don't think I'm alone on this. There's stuff I want to keep, but I really don't need to have a paper copy of it. Like the sheet of paper the lawn guys leave every time they spray for weeds.

You might think why do I want to hang on to the weed information. Why don't I just get rid of it right away? Sadly, I have a home owners association and they regularly patrol. And yes, they will right you up for weeds and there, in the mailbox, will be a love letter from them about lawn care. Never mind that I'm across from the retention pond and the HOA never gets that treated for weeds. Anyway, if I get another note, I want to be able to send them every damn lawn care sheet I have.

With the paper getting unmanageable, I decided a new tactic was needed. A page feed scanner. This way I could scan all these documents I want to keep into PDF format and store them electronically rather than physically.

I finally bought the scanner I'd been eyeing and began scanning. I learned a few things as I went along. Like to only scan what I wanted in a single document in one fell swoop. I spent a little too much time separating out the documents later. I also needed to create file folders for each of the categories. That didn't end up being too bad, but I wish I'd thought of it before I started.

I still have file drawers full of stuff to scan as well as three-ring binders. I'd also like to scan in my old manuscripts. Not the notes I might refer back to if I write in one of those worlds again, but the actual manuscript itself. I used to print those out.

Overall, I think this is going to be a fantastic solution. The real pain, though, is going to come as I scan in years worth of paper. I made it about two hours on Saturday and didn't accomplish even a fraction of what I'd hoped to do. I think I'm going to have to plan on spending an hour or two every weekend until I get caught up.