BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Light Bulb Moment

Writing is a series of progressions when it comes to learning the craft. Most of the improvement/changes are only noticeable in hindsight. Like when one rereads something they wrote three years earlier. Occasionally, though, there's a light bulb moment. Mine came while reading a book.

I'd heard for a while that Goal, Motivation, Conflict by Debra Dixon was a tremendous book about writing, but it took me a little while to buy it and then read it. It was worth the cost. GMC light up my brain like fireworks. I finally got it.

Looking at my characters and their words and actions this way helped me figure out growth arcs. It helped me figure out some general plot stuff. It flat out helped me focus and it made a difference for me. What was the first book that I wrote after reading GMC? Ravyn's Flight. This was also my first published book. It wasn't perfect and there are things I'd definitely do differently if I was writing it today, but it was a marked improvement from my previous efforts because of the focus.

I still reread GMC from time to time to remind myself of the principles. I also took time to work out the chart electronically so I can fill it out when I need to get my brain to home in.

Different writers need different things to make a difference for them. This was mine.

***I received no compensation of any kind for this post. Everything here is strictly my own opinion with no influence of any kind.***