BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

On Your Feet

I don't know if anyone else has this problem or not, but I forget to stand up and move around. It mostly happens at work. I'll be really involved in what I'm working on and will sit in one position for too long. Then, when I finally do get to my feet, I feel horrible. My knees hurt, my back hurts, I feel stiff and uncomfortable.

Telling myself to remember to get up didn't work. I thought about setting a reminder on my calendar, but that seemed like an awful lot of work. And then it dawned on me. Why not find an app that will tell me to get up?

I found it on the iOS store and best yet? It was free! (I'm sure there's an Android version as well, but I didn't check.)

Every 45 minutes, the app dings and I stand up. Sometimes I walk around, sometimes I stretch, but I get to my feet. There's a button to touch to let the app know you're standing and it sets the 45 minutes from there. At least I think it does.

Sometimes the 45 minutes is a little off for me. Like I get up to get coffee or something, sit down for 3 minutes and the app dings. I've been getting to my feet anyway because what the hell?

I wasn't sure how this app would work for me, but I gave it a try and I love it! It was exactly what I needed.