BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Wandering into New Territory

I've been stagnate for a while with my musical choices, so I decided to shake things up a little bit. I started by using the curated playlists available on Amazon Music. (I received absolutely no compensation for this article. I'm a Prime member had can stream a lot of music for free.) After listening, changing to a different playlist, and skipping a bunch of songs, I tried stations. This is seeded with one artist or theme. I started out with Pitbull. ;-)

The Pitbull station was interesting and I discovered that while I like some of his songs, there are more that I don't like. The station played a lot of other artists and there were some I enjoyed, but when I heard Counting Stars by One Republic, I knew I'd found a new band to listen to.

Radio in Atlanta isn't good. I'm not the only one who thinks this either. A couple of Georgia natives agree with me. Because of this, I mostly listen to my own music. The one radio station I use to wake up to plays oldies. My old wake up radio station was far enough out of range that some mornings all I'd have was static and I can sleep through white noise. That radio station was super cool, though, because it played everything. One morning I'd wake up to the Partridge Family and the next day it would be Lady Gaga. I called it radio roulette because I never knew which decade I'd be hearing.

Too bad the signal wasn't better because I was hearing new music there. It's this station that introduced me to Maroon 5 and some other bands.

It's always easier to listen to what's familiar, but I have an eclectic taste in music and I like adding to my collection. I'm all excited to have a new band to follow.

Edited to add: Two new bands! Between the time I wrote this and now, I discovered Fitz and the Tantrums. I'd actually heard one of their songs before, but didn't know the band. Now I do and I like a lot of their music.

***There was no compensation from anyone for this post. This is my opinion and Amazon Prime allows any member to stream a large selection of music for free. I also have no affiliation or ties to One Republic, Maroon 5 or anyone else for that matter.***