BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Bedtime Shock

With this latest iOS upgrade from Apple, my iPhone has a new feature called Bedtime. You tell it when you want to wake up in the morning and how many hours of sleep you'd like to have and it will tell you when to go to bed. Cool, I thought. Sign me up for this.

So it chimes like 15 minutes before the time I should go to bed and in the morning, it plays an alarm that when you're awake in the middle of the day sounds soothing and as if you'd sleep right through it. Early in the morning when it wakes me, it is not soothing. In fact, I find the chime in the music annoying. But I didn't know that to begin with and so I didn't trust it. I kept my regular alarm turned on.

And even though I sleep with an air cleaner on and even though I have my radio alarm set super loud, I still heard the Apple wake-up chime over it all. After using it for a couple of weeks, I gave up my regular alarm clock all together and only use the app. It's so much more pleasant than being jerked awake by blaring music.

But I found something that shocked me. As I was changing the setting to wake me up at a different time on Saturday, I decided to touch the little graph at the bottom of the screen. It took me into the Health app and I clicked deeper yet. Guess what I discovered?

Bedtime is monitoring my sleep and it knows exactly when I wake up to use the bathroom. Say what??? I'm trying to figure out how it can be that accurate. It's not as if I take the phone with me in the middle of the night. I'm going to have to do an online search to figure out how it knows what it knows because this is a little disconcerting. I never would have known that it had that kind of monitoring capability if I hadn't found it by accident.

I'm not sure this is a good shock, but I like the Bedtime app too much to give it up. I just wonder what Apple is doing with my sleep patterns.

***I received no compensation for this post of any sort.***