BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Gratitude

I'm still talking about that happiness podcast today, but this will be the last one, I promise! The other topic the duo talked about that I wanted to discuss was gratitude.

On the podcast, one of the women talked about remembering to be grateful for everyday things, small things that we might not think about very often. She mentioned electricity. That we take it for granted until it goes out. An example she used that related to her own life was contact lenses.

There are so many everyday things to be grateful for: Electricity, running water, indoor plumbing, modern sewage/sanitation systems, our transportation network (roads, airplanes, etc), computers that allow us to connect with people around the world and also do computations/simulations to help science/math/etc, satellites to help us in a million ways including letting meteorologists know when big storms are coming in, and probably thousands of other things that are such a daily part of life that I can't think of them.

On Tuesday, I mentioned that one of the happiness hacks was keeping a gratitude journal. I think this is a great idea and I'm going to try it. Although instead of a journal, I'll just make a note each day in my planner about something I'm grateful for.

Today I am grateful that the mail carrier brought my mail to the door so that I didn't have to walk down the hill to get it.