BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Holes In My Walls

I'll try to make this my last story about my move to a new house.

When I looked at this house, it was immaculate. That was one of the big reasons we decided to buy it--everything was pristine. It also saved me from the anxiety of building, which I really didn't want to do if I could avoid it. The woman lived alone and was hyper-organized. My OCD self said, ooh, another OCD neat and clean person. This is great.

We put an offer in on the house. All the inspections passed with flying colors.

And then came the walk through. Her stuff was in boxes everywhere, so it was hard to see everything, but the house didn't look as pristine as it had the day we'd looked at it. I noticed some cobwebs. Maybe she's just been too busy to clean, I thought.

We go upstairs on the walk through. There's dog poop on the carpet. Our Realtor says that the woman probably didn't know it was there and that she'd be mortified and probably get the carpets cleaned before we moved in. And I thought the same thing at that point because I still believed this woman shared my OCD about things being clean.

And then we got possession of the house and I was appalled. She took her TV holders from the walls and left the holes! That's right, my new house has multiple holes in TWO WALLS because she took her TV racks or whatever they're called. My Realtor was appalled. The seller was also a Realtor and she should have known (said my Realtor) that anything attached to the walls must stay. I was going to write that the seller took everything that wasn't nailed down, but that's not exactly true. She took stuff that was nailed down, too (The TV holders). She even took the shower rods!

The cobwebs remained. There were some really thick ones near the bathroom window in the master bath, in the corners of the master bedroom, and in the hallway to the master bedroom. There were lighter spider webs adorning most of the light fixtures in the house.

One other thing, she was supposed to pay me rent for the two extra days she stayed in the house. She did not leave a check or contact my Realtor to pay that money. The cost to repair to two walls she left holes in? Exactly matches what she owes me for the two days of rent. I'm still pissed off about this.