BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Daytime Drivel

Every day I'm at work, I go to the gym during my lunch. Most of the gym has sound and we get to listen to music. That I like. What I don't like is that the locker room has a television.

OMG! Daytime television is so bad. The rotate channels. We started out with the channel that had "The View" and while that was not my cup of tea, it was okay. Now, we're on a station that has a ripoff of The View. It's like the show wants to be The View, but it's not even in the same ballpark.

Then when I'm done working out, the news is on. I hate the news. I know, that sounds weird. I was a journalism major with my primary interest area in advertising copywriting. The local news, though, is all about murder and mayhem. Super downer.

That would be bad enough, but it gets worse. As bad as daytime television is, the advertising on daytime television is worse!

I have never seen so many commercials for ambulance chasers in my life. You deserve compensation if you've been injured in an accident, if your parent has been injured or abused in a nursing home, if someone has waved at you and you banged your hand against the wall, you might be eligible for compensation. OMG!!!

Lawyers should never have been allowed to advertise. It's not just one law firm either there are several. You would think that they would have some pride and not be bottom dwelling slime suckers, but you'd be wrong.

Today, the advertising was even worse than lawyers. I'm not sure who the advertiser was, but they are trying to scare old people. What were they trying to scare about? Not being buried or having the funeral that they deserve. What the heck?

I can't even believe how much this funeral home??? I'm not even sure was a funeral home. I have no idea who the advertiser was, which is a total fail on the part of the advertising agency. But this ad was modeled after the shyster lawyer ads for get your compensation now. Same type of language. The funeral you deserve. The compensation you deserve. Maybe there's like one advertising agency that just does these horrible low-budget slimy commercials. Maybe that's why they sound so much alike.

And don't even get me started on the ads for pharmaceuticals. Is moderate to severe plaque psoriasis such a huge problem that we need like 10 drugs for this condition? And is it really necessary to advertise them constantly?

While the pharmaceutical companies are focusing on getting your skin so you can feel confident, more and more of our antibiotics aren't working any longer. Are these companies working on new antibiotics? As far as I know, they're not. This is why there needs to be some public good put ahead of profit. We do not want to live in a world where antibiotics no longer work.

I'll save my rant about drug companies and what they should be working on as opposed to what they actually are working on for some other time. I'll just say that there advertising does not inspire me to want to use any of their medications. When you listen to these ads, they spent three quarters of their time listing all the side effects. And they often have "including death" as one of the side effects.

If I remember correctly from my time in advertising school, lawyers and pharmaceutical companies were given permission to advertise on television about the same time. I don't know who was in charge of that decision, that they've made life miserable. As bad as daytime television is, the advertising is worse.