BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

No Screens

The health care plan I have from work has an app called Rally where you have different missions or challenges that you assign yourself to complete. I have mixed feelings on whether or not it really helps, but it doesn't take much time, so why not?

Recently, I signed up for a new challenge--no screens for one hour. This means no phone, no computer, and no television. An hour is nothing, I thought. How hard can it be?

It's actually pretty amazing how long an hour actually is.

I started out on the first day--Saturday--by saying I'll just knit for an hour. No problem. After about 10-15 minutes, I realized that I'm used to knitting a few rounds and picking up my phone. Knitting a few more rounds, phone. Knit, phone, knit, phone. It was torturous to not touch the phone.

I tried to think of what I could do that wouldn't involve a screen or an activity where I'd be using the phone or TV. This was harder than it should be.

Can't write. That's computer. Lunch? Well, I hang on my phone while I eat (and yes, I know I shouldn't do this). I wonder how many steps I've taken today and how close I am to 10,000. No, I can't check that yet. Must wait.

I ended up working on my weekly schedule in my planner. I am a paper planner because I can and do completely ignore electronic reminders. Paper works better for me. So I sat down and did a punch list of things I wanted to get done this month. I worked on each individual day of the week. And when I was done, I still had another twenty minutes to go. ::sobs:: I knit some more and counted the seconds down until that hour was up.

It didn't get any easier on day 2. At some point, it's got to get better. I hope.