BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Chaos

They remodeled the building where I work. It's an old building, built in the 1960s, and probably hasn't been updated since the 1980s, so it was kind of overdue. I mentioned this before when I talked about the hideous open-office concept where distractions are rife and quiet is hard to come by. This would have been last summer when my department moved.

Construction is just about finished now, although I believe there are few small pockets left because I still see the guys working on the project leaving work when I do. During this year and a half, departments have been moving around, parked in temporary locations until their permanent spot was finished. We were lucky. My department only had to move once because our forever location was completed early in the process. Other areas haven't been so lucky.

One of these departments is the one that processes airport badges. They moved three or four times in the past year and people are having a hard time finding them. I know this because I sit near a doorway and almost every day someone is asking me where they're located.

That's not the only area people are looking for and can't find. Unfortunately for the people who think I can help them, I have no clue where most of these departments are now.

In the old configuration, I would have been able to guide these people, but now? Their guess is as good as mine. It's chaos!

The only good thing is that now that construction is wrapping up and the moving has stopped, I'll eventually learn where departments are located again and so will the people trying to find said departments. It's just confusion until that happens.