BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Used Books, eBay, and the Principles of Supply and Demand

Clearly, enforced inactivity is giving me too much time to think. :-)

I see that a copy of Ravyn's Flight is up for auction on eBay. I also see that with only one day to go, there are no bidders. There's also a copy of The Power of Two up. It makes me wonder why these people don't wait until October to try to sell my books. Demand for an author's backlist always increases immediately after the release of a new book by said author. This is especially true with an author as new as I am. As more readers find me, and hopefully, like me, they'll look for other titles I've written. By waiting just a few short weeks, these sellers might increase their revenues. Who knows, in the case of RF, maybe increase it a lot since it's out of print. Same thing goes for those sellers on Amazon.

It's the law of supply and demand. Right now, demand isn't particularly great so these sellers keep lowering their price. If they waited until demand is higher, then they'd get more. That's what I'd do if I were trying to sell used books. Of course, the School of Journalism required Micro and Macro Economics courses and I am compulsive enough to research an author's release month to get the most bang for my buck, so to speak.

Still a fabulous day in MN and I'm all cleaned up and feeling pretty happy. I've even managed to eke out a little bit of writing. Which I'm getting back to right now.