BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, October 22, 2005

I Call It the Big B

I'm rabid about not getting sick. I don't quite walk around in a plastic bubble, but if I could afford one and people wouldn't stare, I'd consider it. I used to get teased at work about my obsession, but I don't any more. Not once they saw that I was right on the money. You see, even a minor head cold, something no one else would even think twice about, can--and usually does--turn to bronchitis for me.

I thought I was going to get through this cold without it becoming the Big B. I'd started getting sick on Sunday, and here it was Thursday night and no coughing. My relief was premature. Friday the coughing began. More and more, that deep note that I refer to as the Bronchitis Hack started appearing. No, I screamed, not again! I have a deadline, I can't be sick right now! I've taken Echinacea. I've taken Vitamin C. I slept 13 hours last night. To no avail.

I'm hacking this morning.

Not good. I used to have some spare Z Packs that a friend had bought for me in Mexico, but I used those. My own supply is necessary because the last 2 times I went to the doctor, I had to argue with them to get antibiotics. With one, I even had to insist on a blood test to show my white blood cell count was high. It was. I got my antibiotics, but it's a PITA when you're sick to not only have to drive to the doctor's office, but to have to fight to get the necessary drugs to cure what's ailing you. Grrr.

So I'll wait till Monday--I should be good and sick then and they won't be so quick to argue with me--but this is not fun and puts me behind on my writing. I'm just mad as all get out at my body. Why can't the damn thing fight off the bacteria associated with bronchitis???

Anyway, I'm not a happy camper--which you might have guessed.