BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, April 30, 2006

My Pet Peeves - Item One

I wrote about 18 pages yesterday. Switching to Deke's POV was the magic trick; once I started writing in his head, the pages came fast and furious--for me. I have to tack that on since I am not a fast writer. I really, really wish I was. I'm almost excruciatingly slow. When I hit page 12 or so, my progress slowed down a lot, but I kept on. I'd hoped to do 20 pages Saturday, but it was 10pm and I realized my brain had quit working so I went to bed.

I still feel groggy and almost hung over this morning, but I just finished my coffee, so with a little luck, I'll be bright-eyed and bushy tailed before too long.

A little complaint this morning. One of my pet peeves is when people don't answer emails I send when it's a note that clearly requires an answer. The reason why is I'm left wondering: Did they not get my email? Did it go into their spam filter? Did I say something that torqued them off? Or did they just read it, shrug and hit the delete key?

If it's the last choice, okay, but I have no way of knowing that, so I'm left pondering the likelihood of the first three options.

Like a couple of weeks ago, another chapter member who does website work asked me to revise one of the pages--a page I don't handle--because she didn't know how to do the code. Now I'd already talked with our VP of Communications and explained that I wasn't going to have time to do much on the site, but she's out of town right now. So I replied, I'd love to help, but I'm swamped here and I don't have the time to resize a picture, upload it and code the page. It would take half an hour to an hour for me to do the work, time I need to spend writing. Of course, I was less blunt and explained why I was so busy and sent her the code she needed to hyperlink to a picture.

No reply. None. So now I'm wondering is she thinking, well, I'm busy and have deadlines too, but you expect me to do it? Or did she understand that I'm swamped and don't have time? I don't know. I may never know because she hasn't replied, and after all this time, I doubt she will.

Then I start wondering is it just me that people don't reply to? Or are other people left with the same frustration, and the same worry whether their email actually made it to its intended destination? I understand busy. We're all busy, but is it too much to ask for a short response? One or two words would make me happy and alleviate my worrying.

I've tried to just shrug it off and assume that my email made it through, but then--at times--the worry gets to be too much and I'll ask the person if they received my note. The answer has been "no" often enough that I do sweat about this. Plus, I have a huge problem with AOL since my emails frequently get labeled as spam by them. I always worry incessantly when it's someone with this ISP.

I have given up on some fronts. I never expect an answer when I email NYC even if it's a note that has questions in it and even if the questions are something I deem important. In a way, it reminds me of when I went to the University of Minnesota. This is a huge college, like 45,000 students, and when I had a question there, I just never got answers. Eventually, I surrendered. It's easier that way. :-)

Anyway, what started this, is that I sent two emails yesterday morning that I thought required a response even if it was just a couple of words. "Thank you." "I'm sorry, we'll fix that." And while I did hear from one of these people, she didn't mention my email where I said my name was spelled wrong. So now I'm left pondering--did my emails go through? Did I torque someone off? Did they just hit the delete key?

Technology and the neurotic writer. You just have to love it.