BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I Wasn't Joking

Anyone who thought I was kidding yesterday about needing to finish my book so I could supervise my father was wrong. Here's what he's got in mind now. Help. Sigh.

He happened to be at my house on Friday when it was raining so hard and he saw the water ponding in the backyard. I mentioned this a little in Saturday's post. The ponding was about 2/3rds of the way to the fence in back so it's not like the house is in danger or anything. Well, my dad has decided the only way to prevent that from happening is to dig a trench. Yes, I said a trench.

If he could give me a good, solid reason for this, maybe I wouldn't be so reluctant, but I haven't heard anything compelling yet. We get these kinds of long, hard rains maybe once every few years so it's not as if this ponding is ever going to be a regular problem. I'm not sure why he's so set on this idea.

Here's where it gets better. He talked to one of the neighbors and this man agreed, my dad should dig a trench and put a grate over it. Whimper.

I saw my first preview for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie last night. It opens July 7th. It'll be interesting to hear what people think of it. I really liked the first one a lot and I'm hoping this sequel is as good.

And I made it through three more chapters last night. I meant to go to bed early because I fell asleep again sitting up, but I didn't make it and then the insomnia was back anyways. I'm contemplating taking a couple more days off from work. I have to think about it though. They're supposed to deliver the material for my deck this week and I don't know what day the footers are supposed to go in or when they're going to come out and build it. If it's on a day I'm home and trying to work, that might not be too productive for me.

(You would think this deck would keep my dad busy and out of trouble, wouldn't you?)