BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

What's Up With This?

Yesterday I get home from work and discover my dad has put down 8 bags of rock in the area between my house and my sidewalk. He needs more, though, because that area is huge and he needs me to drive him to Home Depot right this instant! I have an SUV which means more capacity than his car. All I'm thinking is I have revision work to do and the mss has to be printed in 8 days. Gah! But he wouldn't wait. So I am given no choice except to haul him over there to buy 20 more bags.

I'm not sure why the outside of my house has suddenly become this hot, hot, hot project for him. I'm not sure why he can't wait until the day after I mail in my WIP. I've explained to him over and over and over again that I have a lot of work to do and I can't spend an hour here and an hour there running all over the place. He doesn't get it.

After we get back from our foray, he starts putting down the rock. I felt really weird about him and my mom doing all that work while I was inside working on my revisions, but there was no way that I could afford to spend another couple of hours landscaping. :-( If they could have waited another two weeks... Sigh.

So what is up with my dad? Why this sudden burning desire to do things outside my house NOW? There is no putting him off. I tried that. It's like he's on a mission. And I'm left scratching my head, thinking why now and not the first week in July when I can get away from the keyboard?

I guess I should be thankful I didn't get home from work to find a trench in my backyard!

Despite my father who seems to believe I can finish my WIP in about five minutes, I managed to make it through three more chapters yesterday evening. Now, though, I'm through the relatively easy chapters and I'm into the stuff that's going to need more work.
Please don't let my dad start another project. :-/