BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Dog Days of Flowers

My filing cabinet arrived yesterday, and guess what? They cleaned all the adhesive off before delivering it! I really thought I'd be spending the weekend trying to get that crap off. And the other cool thing is that the unit matches the small, two-door filing cabinet I already have in the room.



Now I just have to get all my stuff arranged in there. Unfortunately, I have a lot of it, so this isn't necessarily going to be quick or easy. I might start with the mish mash sitting on my bookshelves now because I had nowhere else to put it. That's been one of my biggest frustrations--trying to get to my research books with all this other stuff around them.

My mutantly large lily bloomed this week! I don't know if you can tell how much larger it is than the other lilies from the pictures, but it must be like 15% bigger. It's been a hard-fought war with the rabbit, but the fence did the trick. I have one more bud left to bloom, then my flowers will be done for the year.

First, here's a typical lily with a ruler next to it so you can get an idea of the size.


Now, here's the mutant lily. Sorry, no ruler. There wasn't one handy.


Mutant Lily from farther away.


Mutant with another flower. I'm trying to show the largeness of the bloom, but I'm not sure it comes across in this shot.


And finally, here is another plant with two flowers on the stem. It also has one more bud on it, which will be my last flower of the year.



I don't have any pictures of them, but my three surviving Toad Lilies shot up a lot in the last week or so. I'm thinking all the rain we've had helped them. Most of the flowers in the deck boxes are okay. The pansies look like they've had enough, but everything else looks okay. Next year, though, I'm not planting any wussy flowers. Those impatiens and begonias wilted all the time if they were even slightly dry. Petunias, though--those are hardy plants. :-)